Living in the Sandwich Generation
The term “sandwich generation” is one that is becoming more popular and well-known. This term refers to those people who are caught between looking after their own children and caring for their aging parents. This is a very hard position for these people to be put in since it often places emotional and financial burdens on the person caring for their parents and children. During this time they can feel a sense of burnout by stretching themselves too thin. They might have issues in balancing their other responsibilities whether those are work, personal hobbies, or other personal relationships. They may start to feel depressed or guilty for not doing more in any of those areas.
Being a caregiver is a difficult job, but it’s important to remember to take care of yourself and remember to do things for yourself. At this site they give some tips to help reduce stress levels that those caregivers in the sandwich generation may be feeling.
Tips to Reduce Stress:
- Make sure to communicate openly with everyone involved. Ensure that all issues are discussed and resolved quickly to keep stress levels low for everyone.
- Get help when you need it. If your parents need more assistance, find a way to get them that help and to lessen the burden on yourself.
- If your children are older, offer your advice on how to get a job or how to keep their expenses low. It may help them become more independent.
- Most importantly be kind to yourself. Caring for many people at once is hard. Be sure to take note of how you are feeling, if you need a break, take a few minutes for yourself.
- Take care of your body so you feel good and have as much energy as you may need.
- Make sure to laugh and have fun with your family. Just because this is a busy time does not mean you can’t make meaningful memories with those around you.
Here at Visions Assisted Living and Memory Care we know that being a caregiver is difficult. We want to help make this time of life easier for you and your loved ones. Let us take some worries off your mind and we’ll provide excellent care for your parents and you can enjoy spending more quality time with them.